If you have a minor or adult child with a physical or developmental disability, we can assist with the many challenges that you will likely encounter, including maintaining government assistance, planning for future inheritances and providing for future caregivers when you can no longer care for your child.
Passaro, Kahne, Taylor, DeFrancesco & Thompson Law Offices, P.L.L.C. can help you set up a Special Needs Trust so that government benefit eligibility is preserved while at the same time providing assets that will meet the supplemental needs of the person with a disability (those that go beyond food, shelter, and clothing and the medical and long term supports and services of Medicaid).
The Special Needs Trust can be used for a variety of life-enhancing expenditures without compromising your loved one’s Medicaid or SSI eligibility such as:
- Supplemental education and tutoring
- Out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses
- Transportation (including purchase of a vehicle)
- Purchase materials for a hobby or recreation activity
- Funds for trips or vacations
- Funds for entertainment such as movies, shows or ballgames.
- Athletic training or competitions
- Special dietary needs
Special Needs Trusts are a critical component of your estate planning if you have disabled beneficiaries for whom you wish to provide after your passing.